Wednesday, March 25, 2009

I Bought Yarn Just Because...Sort Of...

I went to the LYS (local yarn shop) to find a pattern for a cute sweater for the under utilized group of 4-10 size for kids. Never go w/ your family. Hubby, dd #3 and son, as I looked for patterns to knit, they were enjoying the rest of the store. When we met back up, they started checking out yarn.

"Mom, this is nice"....feeling weak at the knees. "This is awesome sock yarn - I love the colors". DD#3 knows my weakness for socks! I knew better than to reach out and touch it. Dear Daughter #3 has a pair of socks started on the needles already. I usually finish a pair of socks before I buy more sock yarn. I resisted! Then it called to me I swear! A wonderful black to light gray skein of the softest superwash wool I've come across. Same yarn DD#3 liked but it made me think of Hubby. Who likes crew socks, size 10 shoe- more knitting. The skein never left my hand. Even joked that they don't see a skein in my hand. Up to the register w/ the patterns I found and the yarn. I bought a skein of yarn just because I fell for it. Didn't make it half way home before I had a pattern figured out for Hubby's socks. Wouldn't ya know, I left my knitting bag at home. The first time I left at home on purpose and I needed my sock needles!

I'm not one to buy yarn because the sale is 80% off original price just to have it. I am not one who sees a ugly, I mean really ugly mustard yellow 100% wool on super sale and buy up the last 20 skeins just because it's on sale. Wait, I mentioned this in another post...fast forward.

I do buy yarn when it's on 80% off, in the color, content and amount I need for a project that all the details are in my knitting journal. Sue me, I like to make notes...(I can never remember if it's 653 yards in a worsted weight or 356 in a chunky weight). A beautiful 100% cotton, in a natural that I coveted while it was full price, I will buy! I need 6 skeins! The Cherry Tree Hill, a sport weight mohair boucle in Serengeti (bright pinks, yellows, oranges and reds) original price $35 for $7.56 - in the basket it went. I also tossed in a couple of skeins of Red Heart texture yarn in gold too. Total of $117 worth of yarn for $30 bucks!

The Cherry Tree Hill is going to be a sleeved wrap. The cotton a basic cardigan - gotta love wardrobe builders. The gold yarn is already made into prayer shawls. All had a purpose before I bought them. Just waited like a vulture for the discounts!

Back to that wonderful black/gray superwash wool sock yarn. It calls to me daily. It's where I can see it. I need the needles that are already in the middle of the cuff of DD#3's socks. Talk about getting it done! Happy Happy Joy joy - I bought a skein just because, sort of!

No comments: