Monday, January 7, 2008

They Want More Hats

The sons-in-law loved their hats I knitted them for Christmas. The fact was solidified when both of them came out into the living room wearing their hats! They loved them so much they requested a couple more! "Can I have one in black?" or "Could you make another one in the tan camo?". Of course I had to ask if they wanted a pink one...no way! I had hoped they would like them enough to at least wear them in the dark. But to have them request more? They just blew my mind away!

They were just basic 2x2 ribbed hats. Made in Bernat's Camouflage -Outback -tan/black and Renegade - green/black. Stitch 'n Bitch pg 162, Hot Head by Alex Zorn. No brim to roll up. No ear flaps. Just a nice head hugging cap. Short and sweet and to the point to make. Sometimes the best things are simple in design! Since both the guys are hunters, camo seemed like a good idea.


Have one of the requested hats on-the-needles but I modified the hat to work with a circular needle instead of straights. Using a smaller gauge needle too, a size 8, so cast-on is a larger number. That's 96 stitches The rows will need to be increased too. That works out to be 43. Using a decrease every 8 stitches....knit two together, knit 6 stitches. Next row decrease and knit 5...Not doing a knit everyother row w/o a decrease. I will keep working the hat in rib pattern during the decreases. I don't have to sew a seam!!!! That way there won't be "wrong side" to the hat! Now to the hats!

P.S. I am still smiling at the fact that the hats were a hit!

No comments: